TRADITIONAL FLAVOUR IN ONE TASTY DISH
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the eggplants, and slice them into 1- to 2-inch slices.
- Place the eggplant slices onto a greased baking sheet, and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden, flipping them over after 10 minutes. Remove the eggplants from the oven, place them on cooling rack, and lower the heat to 350 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the ground meat along with the cinnamon, basil, salt and pepper. Once the meat is browned, add the tomato sauce and wine. Reduce heat, and allow the sauce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add the butter and flour. Using a whisk, cook the mixture for 5 minutes on medium heat before adding the milk and cheese. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat while continuing to whisk as the sauce thickens.
- In a greased casserole dish, place half the eggplants to create a layer (think lasagna). Spread the meat sauce over the eggplants to form another even layer. Add another layer of eggplant, and top it off by pouring the béchamel sauce, covering it completely.
- Bake for 1 hour.